[Pmwiki-users] wikiword on/off-switch

J. Meijer commentgg
Sat May 22 15:14:01 CDT 2004

Would anyone know an objection against using the backtick ` as a WikiWord
on/off switch? So I can write:

   `WikiWord          shorthand for [=WikiWord=]
   `politics          shorthand for {{politics}}
   ``backtick         displays `backtick

Possibly these too:

   `http://www.pmwiki.org    [=http:www.pmwiki.org=]
   `alternate_politics       {{alternate politics}}

The only objection I know of is in php-code where it denotes a system
command. But this is code, so probably already within [=..=]. I remember
Word 6 converting my quotes to some sort of backtick format, but I never
liked that.

The technique might be specially valuable when automatic WikiWords are
turned off by default, so `WikiWord would instead activate the hyperlink.

Alternatively the ^-character might be used.

-jm