[Pmwiki-users] PmWiki skinning

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users
Mon Nov 8 16:09:43 CST 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 10:53:57AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> It's more than that.  Some 'defaults' are there because PmWiki simply
> doesn't work without them -- e.g., the indent/outdent classes for
> indent and outdent text, styles for formatting page history results,
> etc.

Ack - we discussed that already IIRC - it just hit me once again so I
thought instead of totally removing them as my suggestion was during my
first think-through, put them in a file a skin creator might or might
not be able to include.

> Actually, I suggest eliminating $PageLogoFmt altogether.  It's left over
> from the pre-0.6 (pre-layout template) days when admins wanted to be
> able to change the logo code (especially the link target) but didn't
> want to have to redefine $PageHeaderFmt to do it.  Now that we control
> things via layout templates, we probably don't need $PageLogoFmt
> anymore (although I will keep $PageLogoUrl).

I am very fine with this. Though I will add something like $PageLogoFmt
back in in my skin :). The admin should be able to easily change a sites
name e.g. - but this can easily be documented in the Skin documentation.

> > Another thing are the styles added in the HeaderText. Those exist so
> > that things like vertical space, code, etc. look like in the default
> > wiki. But always adding them makes it difficult to override them too.
>
> Well, you can always do $HTMLStylesFmt['pmwiki']='';  to get rid
> of them if you don't want them.

I tried though, but there was still CSS added which I took for
$HTMLStylesFmt['pmwiki'] - but it looks like it is not... It is e.g.
markup from scripts/simuledit.php or scripts/urlapprove.php.

Those two add markup like $HTMLStylesFmt[] = ... - which makes it hard
to remove those from the array. I guess thats a bug?

> PmWiki v1 did it exactly this way, via the pub/css/stdlayout.css file,
> but I didn't like the results.  If an admin forgets this file when
> creating the skin, there's a fair amount of surprise when indent,
> outdent, page history, and other built-ins "stop working", which then
> result in frequent misreports of PmWiki "bugs".

Hm. I am struggling more about conflicting CSS than forgotten/wrong one.
But since you had different experiences I am believing you. :)

    Balu