[Pmwiki-users] synonyms?

John Rankin john.rankin
Wed Nov 17 13:25:56 CST 2004

On Thursday, 18 November 2004 6:18 AM, Chris Lott <chris.lott at gmail.com> wrote:
>I Am working on a project that will link a web glossary with three
>different languages (english, lating, yupik) to a wiki for comments. I
>am trying to figure out how to handle the need for one wiki entry page
>for three different terms. Does PMWiki have support for some kind of
>"synonyms" structure where I could define that these three terms all
>direct to the same page?

One way to do it is with pmwiki's (:redirect ... :) markup (PmWiki 2
syntax).

Suppose you have the pages TermA1, TermA2 and TermA3, all synonyms
for the TermA page. On pages TermA1, TermA2 and TermA3, put

    (:redirect TermA:)

And you are done. PmWiki will automatically take a visitor to
the TermA page.

Otherwise, an author can write [[TermA | TermA1]], which displays
the link text as TermA1 while linking to the TermA page.

If the synonyms are always by convention a suffix of the main term
page, an author can write [[TermA]]1 -- this displays as TermA1 and
links to TermA. However, since your example is a multi-language one,
suffixes probably won't suit your purpose.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

--
JR