[Pmwiki-users] Re: external links in page history

Neil Herber nospam
Mon Nov 29 08:18:21 CST 2004

At 2004-11-29  03:58 PM +0100, chr at home.se is rumored to have said:
> > Is the solution to this problem not something like the blacklist plugin? I
> > know there are an unlimited number of spammers with unlimited resources,
> > but having some portion of the posts bounced will at least reduce the load
> > on the Wiki users and admins.
>
>What would you blacklist? External links to certain URIs, or posts made
>from certain sources?

That depends on how much control the admin has over the server running PmWiki.

In a hosted environment, I would think the best thing to do would be
prevent links to blacklisted (we should say blocklisted to be au courant) URIs.

In an environment where the admin also controls the server (my situation) I
would be inclined to have 4 levels of control:
1) prevent posting of certain URIs
2) prevent posting from certain IPs or IP blocks
3) redirect all traffic from certain IPs or IP blocks to a page that tells
them they have been banned with a form available for registering appeals
4) issue a web-server deny to certain IPs or IP blocks

As Draconian as #4 may sound, I use it on my server to stop persistent
idiots that don't respond to the other techniques. If I had control of my
upstream router I would implement some IP blocking there so that I wouldn't
even see the hacking attempts.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/