[Pmwiki-users] spammers - using a wheel that has been invented

Neil Herber nospam
Mon Nov 29 09:24:46 CST 2004

At 2004-11-29  03:32 PM +0000, Ciaran is rumored to have said:
>Is there a mechanism for overriding it, perhaps someone's writing a
>wiki on Organ enlargement etc ? ;) (Being silly, but you catch my
>drift) Similar to the approve links concept already in place for urls
>in PmWiki?
>-Ciaran

On PHPBB2, the word substitution is board-wide. That is, every forum in the
board uses the same "censor word" list.

However, if you are running several boards (at different URLs for example)
they each have their own "censor words" lists. The administrator has
complete control over the list contents, so they could allow "Organ
enlargement" on the list for the board used by the church.   ;->

The approval concept doesn't seem appropriate in this case because you are
really trying to keep the Wiki from being defaced. If the word was exposed
to view and followed by an approval link, the site is still defaced. Do you
want to see (or want your visitors to see) "The mayor is an a***ole
(approve word)"?  Note that I suppressed my own expletive here to keep spam
filters from being triggered.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/