[Pmwiki-users] Markup Quick Ref example (was pmwiki.org converted to 2.0.devel27)

John Rankin john.rankin
Tue Nov 30 13:57:10 CST 2004

On Tuesday, 30 November 2004 6:22 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 03:34:49PM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
>> >
>> There is a demonstration using {:text:text definition} at
>> http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/pmwiki2/index.php/Main/MarkupQuickReference
>>
>> Comments?
>
>I like it.  Strangely, all of the items (except the abbreviation) appear
>in an italic font on my browser -- perhaps that's a function of the
>default styling of the <dfn> tag?  That seems a bit confusing.

The abbreviation is using the <abbr> tag while the others use <dfn>.
It sounds as if your browser has a default style of italics for the <dfn>
tag. I'll experiment with the default styles to do something cleaner.

>But other than that I like it a lot.  I'll probably add {:term:text definition}
>to PmWiki's standard markup, along with some variation(s) that cause it to
>correctly recognize when it's being used to define markup.

I'll upload a version of the markup extensions that includes it probably
tonight.

>Did you consider using some other character in place of the second colon
>to select between text definition and markup
>demonstration...e.g.,
>
>   {:term:text definition}
>   {:'''bold''';'''bold'''}

Well that will break with

    {:';small caps;';';samll caps;'}

I am tending towards Scott Duff's suggestion of

    {:term|text definition}

Unfortunately, that's not so good for

    {:||!table heading|||||!table heading||}

but that can be trapped the same way we trap

--
JR