[Pmwiki-users] Can basic authentication supply user name to PmWiki?

Neil Herber nospam
Tue Nov 30 23:16:32 CST 2004

I have an instance of PmWiki running inside a protected realm (on a virtual
host, if that matters).

Users have to log in (using Basic Authentication) just to see the site.
PmWiki is down a few levels.

How can I pick up the HTTP UserName and force it into the author field on
all edits? I do not want to restrict access to the Wiki in any way because
the user has already been authenticated.

Just to make my question perfectly clear, here is what a user would do.
1) Enter the URL http://secure.example.com/
2) Enter UserName and Password in BA screen - "FredSmith", "secretword"
3) Be taken to the magical world of PmWIki
4) Edit a page and click "SAVE" - the author is forced to be "FredSmith"

I have looked through the cookbook and the closest item I can see is
UserAuth, but that seems to be performing the BA as part of PmWiki.

I *cannot* require the users to enter a second username or password - they
will kill me. I cannot trust them to enter their usernames when editing -
they are too rushed.

I may have to move one of these systems behind SSL. Does that present any
problems to PmWiki?

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/