[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: AsSpaced function (was pmwiki-2.0.devel9 released)

John Rankin john.rankin
Sun Oct 3 22:39:48 CDT 2004

On Monday, 4 October 2004 2:13 PM, chr at home.se wrote:

>AFAICT, the majority opinion seems to be to add an "s", at least I wasn't
>able to find another opinion during my brief search.

If you do this in conjunction with small caps, you then need to make
sure the small caps are set slightly larger than the surrounding text
(ie larger than the s) but still smaller than the normal caps height.

Otherwise as you say below, the text is no longer clear and understandable.

Have a look at some examples:
http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/wiki/Main/WikiSandbox

>In my opinion its often much more important to keep the text clear and
>understandable, than to keep it pretty. So from that point of view I can
>see why clearly indicating the plural makes sense.

Indeed; some people say that the point of typography is not to be pretty
at all but is there solely to elucidate the text.

"Typography exists to honor content"

"In a world rife with unsolicited messages, typography must often
draw attention to itself before it will be read. Yet in order to be
read, it must relinquish the attention it has drawn. Typography with
anything to say therefore aspires to a kind of statuesque transparency."

    -- Robert Bringhurst

Lovely!

--
JR