[Pmwiki-users] Re: can pmwiki handle hierarchical content?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Oct 18 14:45:49 CDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 04:21:06PM -0400, Stefan Candea wrote:
> I believe that similar page names and group names can coexist.  Thus no
> need to know in advance.  As it is today in PmWiki.  However, even with
> current version, a page called LinuxHardware can evolve into a
> LinuxHardware/SoundCards and a LinuxHardware/Printers page.

False.  In the current version it's impossible to have a page called
just "LinuxHardware".  You can have either LinuxHardware.LinuxHardware
or LinuxHardware.HomePage, but not "LinuxHardware" with no group.

> Is it any different today?  Let's recap: We have a page called
> LinuxHardware and (using current version) we want to link to
> LinuxHardware/SoundCards (by creating new group), so LinuxHardware repeats
> in all links as well.

False, again for the reason cited above.  In the current version, if
I'm in a page called LinuxHardware.LinuxHardware (there is no such thing
as a "LinuxHardware" page in the current version), then I can link to
LinuxHardware.SoundCards by just using [[SoundCards]].  If I want to
go to a different group, then I use [[Hardware/PowerTools]] or
[[LinuxSoftware/OpenOffice]].

To keep this short and properly split the thread, I'll answer the
second part that proposes a leading '/' in another message a bit later.