[Pmwiki-users] Moving to Pmwiki 2

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Oct 19 08:13:05 CDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 09:27:04AM +0200, KRAIT philippe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've started playing around with Pmwiki 1 (the standrad download from the site), but I would like to know:
>
> 1) Is it advised to move now to Pmwiki 2 ? Or is it better to wait a bit ? I must say that the answers on the ML so far are a bit confusing, it seems as if almost everyone is using Pmwiki 2, although it is not (as far as I understand) a major release.

If you're just starting out, I advise going with PmWiki 2.  It is stable
enough, and mostly just lacks sufficient documentation and a few other
minor items before becoming a release candidate.

> 2) Is there a clear guide about what needs to be done to move to Pmwiki 2 ?
> In particular, do the pages need to be changed in any way (I certainly
> hope it is not the case) ?

http://www.pmichaud.com/pmwiki2/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/UpgradingFromPmWiki1
talks about ways to convert a PmWiki 1 site to PmWiki 2.  Alas, the
pages do need to be changed somewhat, since one of the big features of
PmWiki 2 is a much improved markup and link syntax (especially for
free links).  However, there's a script to do the conversion for you.