[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Why heirarchy?

chr@home.se chr
Tue Oct 19 15:29:32 CDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> One item of note is that I've only come up with two reasons for
> needing a hierarchy over PmWiki's current group structure:
>
> 1.  ...when a group name (e.g, "Hardware") needs to be reused by multiple
>     groups; i.e., the same group name has different meanings and content
>     depending on its context.  To illustrate, if a group name such as
>     "Hardware" appears only once in the hierarchy, there's really no
>     difference between saying "Linux.Hardware.SoundCards" and just
>     "Hardware.SoundCards".
>
> 2.  ...to make an organizational framework more apparent to authors
>     and readers. ...

3. ... to allow a search within a restricted set of pages

To me it is important to be able to put related information "close". I
know you can use wiki trails to let a user step through a set of related
pages. That doesn't help with searches though. (Unless we added some
specific search option that automatically searches all pages within a
trail).

In addition, it is sometimes annoying to have to update a page trail
whenever you add a page. If I can have a group dedicated to e.g. sound
cards, it should be enough to just add a new page to that group.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr