[Pmwiki-users] Categories instead of hierarchies? (was: can pmwiki handle hierarchical content?)

John Rankin john.rankin
Tue Oct 19 15:44:34 CDT 2004

On Wednesday, 20 October 2004 9:48 AM, chr at home.se wrote:

>The page Linux/Hardware initially contains a section called "Sound
>cards", and so far we only have this page:
>	Linux/Hardware
>
>Eventually that section is put on a page of its own, and we have:
>	Linux/Hardware
>	Linux/SoundCards
>
>After a while we even start adding pages dedicated to specific sound
>cards, but decide to put them in a separate group (because there are just
>too many pages in the group Linux/). So we have:
>
>	Linux/Hardware
>	Linux/SoundCards
>	LinuxSoundCards/Card1
>	LinuxSoundCards/Card2
>	LinuxSoundCards/Card3
>
>There's not that much changing of links required in this example. Only the
>links in Linux/SoundCards will need major changes by being prepended with
>"LinuxSoundCards/".
>
>/Christian

I seem to remember someone a while ago (Bronwyn perhaps?) asking about
the ability to assign pages to categories. If I understand Christian
correctly, this is akin to his 'a page can belong to multiple groups'
concept.

I wonder if the ability to assign pages to categories would be another
way of approaching the problem of how to organise pages in a flexible
way. It seems to me that recategorising is perhaps simpler than
restructuring.

In the above example, we put all the pages in the Linux group, and we
assign some of them to a SoundCard category.

We might seek guidance from how libraries organise their online
public access catalogues. As I understand it, the hierarchy lies in
the categories, not the books themselves. And a book can belong to
multiple categories of course.

If anybody thinks this is worth exploring, I'm happy to write up a
page on how it might work.

--
JR