[Pmwiki-users] Final hurdles to 2.0

Fred B. fredb7
Tue Oct 19 17:14:34 CDT 2004

On 19-oct.-04, at 18:02, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Hello, all --
>
> As we get closer to an official release of PmWiki 2.0, there are a
> couple of final issues that need to be examined, and if there are
> going to be any major changes then now is the time to make them.
> I'll frame the issues as succinctly as I can.
>
> 1.  Directive syntax
>
> Many international users have complained that the [:directive:] syntax
> is very difficult to type and needs to be replaced.  The latest
> proposal
> to win any support was to switch to using (:directive:) instead, and
> discussion yielded only one "sympathy vote" in favor of [:directive:].
> So, this is the "final call" for anyone to speak out in favor of
> [:directive:],
> otherwise I'm going to make the switch to (:directive:) and be done
> with it.
>
> (For those who might want to suggest a third alternative--if it
> appears in
> http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki2/pmwiki.php/Development/DirectiveMarkup
> then
> it's already been considered, discussed, and rejected by the list, so
> it
> probably won't be reconsidered.)

I'm using a french (macintosh) keyboard, so to get a [, I have to type
Alt + Shift+ (

Still, I don't really understand what's the problem.
Are you going to change the links to ((aLink))? ;)
I don't think so, so why is this a bigger problem for [:directive:]?
I type more links than directives...
I think using [: makes it easier to differentiate code and text and is
consistent with [[ for links.
{: could be ok too, but make the links {{ then.

Just my 2 euro cents