[Pmwiki-users] Categories instead of hierarchies?

John Rankin john.rankin
Wed Oct 20 17:47:05 CDT 2004

On Thursday, 21 October 2004 12:29 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 10:33:26AM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
>> Here is a terse proposal for handling categories. It's probably better
>> to answer specific questions rather than try to write a long
>post.
>
>Wow, this is an impressive piece of writing--you took it farther than I
>was thinking of!  I have only one small comment:
>
>> 2. Introduce the following markup
>>     [[/some category]] translates into [[Category/some
>category]]
>
>I'm not sure we should usurp [[/...]] as a category markup--some
>may want to use leading slashes in a hierarchical page naming scheme.
>Perhaps something else?  {{some category}}?  [[C/some category]]?
>[[:some category]]?   [[cat:some category]]?  [[>some
>category]]?
>
>Pm

Yes, I should have said that I used '/' to illustrate the concept.
Two alternatives:

  [[!some category]] because ! is next to the ~ on my keyboard
  plus a category is a subject heading and heading uses !

  [[?some category]] because ? is shift / on my keyboard plus
  a category is an answer to a question

Either would work for me.

And I strongly favour the profiles precedent of using a special
character rather than a letter or letters.
--
JR