[Pmwiki-users] Re: Page tree with minimal syntax -- some problems

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Oct 21 06:48:29 CDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 09:19:39PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:

> Here is another idea which allows pages to refer to their parent without
> any special markup. Simply forbid child pages to be created with the same
> name as the parent page.

Would this generalize?  I.e., we forbid child pages to be created with the
same name as any ancestor?  Could someone have/want PmWiki.Lists.PmWiki?

> > Note: To have the link render with the "/", it might have to be written as
> > 	[[(/)PmWiki]].
>
> This is no longer a problem if [[PmWiki]] automatically links to the
> parent.

There may still be a small problem.  If I'm in a page called
WikiEngines.PmWiki.Markup, and I want to get to PmWiki.TextFormattingRules,
how do I get there?

> Question: Can anyone come up with a case where you think you want to have
> a child page with the same name as the parent? Or in other words, is this
> a serious limitation?

Only in that it completely mucks up PmWiki's existing pages.  How about
a slight modification...instead of "forbidding" pages as you described
above, what if we just say that any repeated name in a path is
automatically removed, so that a page target of PmWiki.PmWiki
automatically (and silently?) reduces to a single "PmWiki"?