[Pmwiki-users] Re: Page tree with minimal syntax -- some problems

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Oct 21 14:55:09 CDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 10:21:46PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:

> Sounds good to me. A question though... you write
> 	use dots (.) to separate components in names of pages,
> I wonder if that is an absolute requirement? To me it seems easier to
> start with using '/' for component separation, and *then* see how this
> could be made to work with using '.'.

My comment about dots doesn't apply to the markup we might use nor is
it a requirement of the markup--it's just a preference about how we
identify pages in the text of the HierarchicalSyntax page.  For example,
use

   To link to the page RecSoccer.BoysU8.TeamA.Roster from RecSoccer.BoysU8,
   the author writes [[TeamA/Roster]].

as opposed to

   To link to the page RecSoccer/BoysU8/TeamA/Roster from RecSoccer/BoysU8,
   the author writes [[TeamA/Roster]]

The dots help me see that one is talking about a page's name (using the
dots) as opposed to the markup that might be used to reach that page
(using slashes).

To phrase it in a different manner, I'm asking that for purposes of the
discussion (not the markup) people identify pages by the name of their
corresponding files in wiki.d, since those will be unique names despite
all of the many different paths that can be used to reach them.