[Pmwiki-users] Re: any conclusion on catagories ?

chr@home.se chr
Sat Oct 23 17:02:24 CDT 2004

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > I think I'd actually prefer making it more explicit, using a directive
> > like (:Category Comedy:) because it is really *more* than a link to a
> > category page.
>
> Actually, it's not anything more than links to a category page.  Or, put
> another way, what capabilities would the Category pages have that you
> wouldn't want to make available to other pages?

What I mean is that it is more than a link because that text is also used
to define that a page to belongs a to a certain category. For instance, if
the "directive" is hidden by being inside a comment, then a reader will
never see the link so it is "not there". But the page still belongs to the
category.  To me the true purpose of [[Category/XYZ]] is to be a *marker*,
and the link aspect is a bonus.

Another motivation to make it a directive btw, is that I think that would
make it easier for you to have all category links look a certain way
(through some stylesheet).

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr