[Pmwiki-users] Categories instead of hierarchies?

John Rankin john.rankin
Mon Oct 25 15:22:02 CDT 2004

On Tuesday, 26 October 2004 6:19 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>Actually, I realized later that I got this wrong.  They are the same --
>the real difference is that (:searchresults:) produces output with the
>"Searching for XXX ...  Found nn pages out of mm searched" text, while
>(:pagelist:) just outputs the results.  Both of them use 'fmt=bygroup',
>which displays the pages by group.
>
>Pm

Time for a summary. Here's where I think we have reached.

1. categories are useful and cool

2. by default, category pages go in the Category group
   or your local language equivalent

3. no changes to PmWiki are needed -- just put

    [[Category/XYZ]]

  on the page

4. do we want a special markup for categories?

5. if so the choices are:

 a) a directive keyword, such as (:category XYZ:)

 b) a shortcut character (cf [[~Pm]]), such as [[!XYZ]]

 c) an inline markup (cf <<|TrailPage|>>), such as
   <<!XYZ!>>

6. if we have a special markup, it should allow an
   administrator to specify a common style for all
   category links, such as <span class='wikicategory'>

Action
======
Make a Yes / No decision on item 4.

If yes, make a decision on item 5 a b or c.

Choose a suitable keyword, character or markup.

My 5? is Yes; b preferred, c OK, don't like a

Reason: it's functionally identical to [[~Pm]] --
turn this into a link to a page in a defined group;
and it's conceptually similar to a link to a trail
page.

I don't have a firm view on a specific markup.

--
JR