[Pmwiki-users] Re: How to check out PmWiki 2 via CVS

chr@home.se chr
Tue Oct 26 17:10:29 CDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 11:36:08PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > > It's the standard location to place cookbook recipes, as an alternative
> > > to 'local/'.
> >
> > Um.. why not put them in a directory called local/cookbook?
> > Or a directory called local/scripts?
>
> That can happen--but I figured it was easier for newbie admins to
> understand if cookbook appeared at the top level.  Also, I think
> that include_once('cookbook/something.php') and
> include_once('cookbook/recipe/recipe.php') read a lot nicer than
> with the 'local/' in front.

When I first saw cookbook/, I thought that you planned on distributing
cookbook recepies in that directory so that some of the scripts come
bundled with pmwiki.  Essentially the equivalent to a contrib/.

FWIW, it looked quite alright with me to write something like

	include_once('local/toc/tocsetup.php');

in order to include John's [[toc..]]. After that I even continued with
putting cookbook thingys in a separate subdirectory to local/.

> Nope, but it's worth looking into.

If you could send me a tar-ball of the pmwiki repository, I can play with
that and see if I can come up with some sensible modules. It's been a
while since I used modules in cvs, and IIRC it was quit tedious to get
them working the way you want. Looking at other examples is probably the
best way to start here.

I don't actaully need a copy of the entire repository, but it's good to
get the top levels of the directory structure and some files in there that
have different tags.

> > > Also, I think that those who are doing a "standard PmWiki install" ought
> > > to be able to get everything in a single package rather than having to
> > > get it all piecemeal just to support this particular situation (which I
> > > don't think will be all that common).
> >
> > The standard install.. you mean from a .tgz?
>
> No, I mean from a cvs checkout.  I think that most people (certainly
> myself) who get PmWiki via checkout will want to use it to keep PmWiki
> up-to-date

Ok, and I think it's probably a good idea to recommend using cvs for
keeping pmwiki up to date.

> but won't be all that interested in version-control of their
> own local configuration files.

That's probably true (even though I think they should, but that's
something else).

>  So, the checkout needs to be simplest for them (and much like what one
> would see from a standard .tgz install).

I agree on that. Btw, would it be acceptable to use a script for these
operations? For instance, let's say that the admin downloads a script
called for instance 'pmwiki-cvs.sh' which supports:

	pmwiki-cvs.sh install			# Install via cvs
	pmwiki-cvs.sh update			# Install latest
	pmwiki-cvs.sh pmwiki-2-0-devel16	# Change to rel. devel16

> > PS. It's really annoying with local/.cvsignore btw. In my local/ I don't
> > want it because I want to be notified if I've forgotten to add a file
> > there to my repository. However, if I do 'cvs update' from the directory
> > above local/, then cvs updates local/.cvsignore :-(
>
> Yeah, I can understand that.  But this is yet another point--for those
> who simply want to use CVS to keep their copy of PmWiki up-to-date,
> having the local/.cvsignore there by default is *really* handy. Did you
> try putting 'local' in the .cvsignore in the directory above local/?
> This might keep CVS from the directory above from doing an update of
> local/, yes?

That doesn't work unfortunately. It's non-trivial and late, but if you do
for instance

	cvs update .

from <pmwiki-root>/, cvs will automatically check if pmwiki/local exists
in the sourceforge repository. Adding 'local' to <pmwiki-root>/.cvsignore
only prevents cvs from printing
	? local

in case that directory was not part of the sourcefore repository. (Nor is
the warning shown if cvs finds that local/ belongs to some other
repository).

The only use of adding 'local' and 'cookbook' to <pmwiki-root>/.cvsignore
is that it spares an admin that does 'cvs update' from seeing:
	? cookbook
	? local
in case he doesn't do version control separately of these directories.

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr