[Pmwiki-users] Subject heading? (Was Categories instead of hierarchies?)

John Rankin john.rankin
Wed Oct 27 15:46:24 CDT 2004

On Wednesday, 27 October 2004 9:08 PM, chr at home.se wrote:

>I only have a brief experience with subject headings, but I had the
>impression that these classification shemes usually are very hiearchical?
>I mean this in the sense that there is a difference between belonging to
>"MILITARY / xyz"  and "HISTORY / Military".
>
>For this case, wouldn't the corresponding category pages have to be called
>	Category
>	|-- MILITARY
>	|-- MILITARY--xyz
>	|-- HISTORY
>	'-- HISTORY--Medieval

You would, I think, make Medieval a category in the HISTORY category;
HISTORY is a category in the Category category. So both HISTORY and
Medieval are pages.

Multi-generational feuds have been fought over the design and use of
subject headings, schisms have rent professional bodies asunder,
normally mild mannered souls have been known to explode into
paroxysms of uncontrolled rage. No, not really.

If at all possible, pick a scheme that already exists and reuse
it; don't create your own if you can avoid it. Celebrate the ease
with which categories in PmWiki can be restructured.

--
John Rankin
Affinity Limited
john.rankin at affinity.co.nz