[Pmwiki-users] Editing long pages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Oct 28 16:21:37 CDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:56:51AM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> This was precisely what I had intended. I envisaged that the ____
> markup would insert an 'Edit Page n' link at the top of the displayed
> page. I thought it ought to be 'really easy' but hadn't looked at
> the implementation details. The 'Edit Page n' link would set the
> p= prechunk and postchunk; and we test whether p is set if action
> =edit. Something like that...

Yeah, I'm thinking that even easier is to give every edit form both
"prechunk" and "postchunk" attributes which are always processed
when posting the data--for editing a whole page (i.e., no p= attribute
supplied) the prechunk and postchunk values are simply set to null and
the full text is placed in the edit box.

Similarly, each header can define a scope for "edit section" links,
these to be displayed at the right margin beside each header
similar to the way Wikipedia renders its edit section links.  Selecting
one of these links causes PmWiki to break the page into pre-section,
section, and post-section chunks which are sent back in the edit form.

One complication is that if another author edits the text of the pre- or
postchunk while all of this is going on, it's harder for an author
to know how to resolve the "simultaneous edit conflict" that results
since the changes occur in sections outside of the one currently
being edited.