[Pmwiki-users] Skins, revisited

Knut Alboldt pmwiki
Fri Oct 29 17:30:14 CDT 2004

At 23:18 29.10.2004, Steven wrote:
>Some comments about skin usage in general:
>
>* I prefer a "default" folder which contains my "custom" skin.
>* If the "default" folder is empty (or non-existant), then the "pmwiki"
>skin is use (in essence, the default-default skin.
>* I prefer that other skins be used in one of two ways:
>
>1.  The admin can create folders (of Group or Page names) in the skins
>folder,(eg.  pub/skins/Main/Main.tmpl, or
>pub/skins/Main/SandBox/SandBox.tmpl) where they are "automatically" used
>by PmWiki (no modifications needed to the config.php file.

I prefer using screen.tmpl (and screen.css), cause then a copy and
customization of a skin is less work (you won't have to rename SandBox.tmpl
and SandBox.css only the skindir and you won't have to change the reference
to SandBox.css within the *.tmpl-file)

>2.  The user can specify a skin in the url:  via skin=fancyskin or
>setskin=fancyskin (where skin= is a one-time usage of the skin for a
>particular page, and setskin= permanently sets the skin until it is
>reset or set to something different.  Resetting would just be a matter
>of setskin= with no argument).

that would be a nice feature but again, I would prefer changing the
skins-dir instead of the skins name (*.tmpl)

<snip>

>I'm wondering if any of the changes proposed below will work for or
>against what I've described above.  I got lost in all the different
>variable names and don't understand why we need so many $Variables to
>handle skins (although, I'm sure there's a good reason for it) :-)

I think there were only two vars left: one for screen-display one for
printing ?

Knut