[Pmwiki-users] extended search-function

Knut Alboldt mailing
Thu Sep 2 05:23:07 CDT 2004

I'm working on an extended search function for pmwiki (starting for version
1). I know there have been some discussion about that topic and Pm suggests
to use existing external functions for this, but there are some cases where
you can't use that:
- google would only be ok if a) the wiki is referenced from the domains
home page and b) hen it will be public (=searchable outside pmwiki) for all
searchers and c) it's not usable in an intranet
- searchmachjines like swish-e could be implemented on the "own" host, but
that requires the possibility to do this, not all providers give you the
possibility to do this

So my intension is to expand the pmwiki-search-function (called it
xsearch). It simply shall implement the extraction of the paragraph where
the text was found (expanding the function "SearchResults" of search.php)).
The function can be called along with the [[$Search]]-tag (I called it
[[xsearch]]).
The result now is quite ok but I need to strip the wiki-tags from the text.
Is there a simple possibility (function call etc) to do this (pmwiki v1 /
v2) ? Another question is: is there already a function in pmwiki parsing a
pages text into paragraphs ?

When finally implemented, I think I've to include the feature described in
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Development/SearchPermissions otherwise
"restricted" information can simply be shown with an extended search.

Knut