[Pmwiki-users] non broken strings

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Sep 17 08:02:57 CDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 10:47:47AM +0200, Larry Baltz wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone else has needed to create strings that aren't
> broken for line wrapping.  I've used the " " mark-up, but that's
> pretty intrusive (i.e. hard to read the string when the character
> entities are embedded) and gets to be a drag to type when you have
> multiple spaces in the string.  I also throw the flag for spacing wiki
> words and would like a way to prevent breaks there (can't use character
> entities inside a link label from what I can tell...).
>
> Any suggestions on reasonable mark-up for enclosing such strings?
> Maybe something like ``I don't want this line wrapped`` (i.e. use
> double backquotes).  Is there anything that would be more consistent
> with existing mark-up (or maybe double backquote is already used?).

Suggestion #1:  How about a WikiStyle?  Add the following to your config.php:

    $WikiStyleTags['white-space'] =
        array('style' => 'white-space:$value; ');
    $WikiStyle['nowrap']['white-space'] = 'nowrap';

Then you can do %nowrap%This text is not to be broken for line wrapping.%%

I've now added this in the cookbook at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/NoWrap .