[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Partial pagenames in URLs

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis
Mon Sep 20 18:18:42 CDT 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:25:36 -0600, Patrick R. Michaud
<pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> Christian cleared up the confusion I was having-- case #1 only occurs
> when we have a complete URL, and I was asking specifically about partial
> URLs.

What with the terms PageNotFound and GroupNotFound, I'd forgotten about
that distinction.  I was thinking about "what should happen when the page
the user wants isn't found?", and didn't clue in that use case one was not
under discussion.  My mistake.

> I'd rather just say "we couldn't find what you were looking for", and
> provide options to create the common things, a list of pages that might
> be related to what the user entered, and (perhaps) a way to conduct a
> wider search of the site.

I like that approach, but I think it should be possible (whether optional
or default) to apply it to nonexistent complete URLs too.

Bronwyn