[Pmwiki-users] skins

Knut Alboldt mailing
Tue Sep 21 03:30:38 CDT 2004

At 23:33 20.09.2004, Pm wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 10:35:07PM +0200, Knut Alboldt wrote:
> > What I suggest:
> > All skins should have the same name for:
> > - pagetemplate (e.g. display.tmpl)
> > - printpagetemplate (e.g. print.tmpl)
> > - publishedpagetemplate (e.g. publish.tmpl)
>
>I disagree that print templates are necessarily attached or related
>to skin templates.  What happens if someone wants to use one form
>of display skin and a second form of print skin?  For example, I have
>a number of sites with many different display skins but they all
>share a common print skin.  The scheme above would require that I
>have separate copies of the print.tmpl in each skin directory; making
>a change would require me to be sure to copy all of them.

Yes, that's certainly another point of view.
My suggestion isn't that hard to customize concerning print / publish, so
it's better to put it in a cookbook-entry.

But what do you think about the "naming"-standard of using one
template-name, e.g. /pub/skinname/display.tmpl for page display instead of
/pub/skinname/skinname.tmpl as well as for the referenced css-files. Then a
copy of an existing skin could be customized with less work.

> > Then I've to configure $PageTemplateFmt and the references
> > to the css-files im pmwiki.tmpl
>
>I agree that updating the page template to use the .css file in
>a new location is a bit of a pain.  Because of the many ways
>in which $PubDir can be defined (depending on what sorts of ChangePmWikiUrl
>customizations are being performed), it's hard to get this right
>in a programmatic way, in which case leaving it hardcoded is the
>easiest to resolve/debug.
>
> > For more convinience a few more variables should be set according to
> > $WikiSkin:
> > e.g. $SkinURL =  $PubDirUrl/skins/$WikiSkin/ (for using in display.tmpl)
> >
> > PageTemplateFmt would be set to $SkinUrl/display.tmpl.
>
>This last part can't work--$PageTemplateFmt refers to a *file* on the
>local disk, while $SkinUrl has to be a *URL* that can be processed by a
>browser.  The two aren't identical, and sometimes people have their
>$PubDirUrl mapping to somewhere other than "pub/" in the PmWiki directory.

Yes, sorry, mixed that up. That was one of my problems I had customizing
this all (but now it's running)

Knut