[Pmwiki-users] section edits

John Rankin john.rankin
Thu Sep 23 17:55:15 CDT 2004

On Thursday, 23 September 2004 10:32 AM, Thomas -Balu- Walter <list+pmwiki-users at b-a-l-u.de> wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 11:56:29AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>> I'm finally getting around to looking at the possibility of providing
>> "section edits" -- where an author can request to edit just one section
>> of a page rather than having to edit (and scroll through) the entire
>> markup text of a page.  This should be really useful for very long
>> pages that have lots of sections in them.
>>
>> My question then becomes -- what should denote a "section"?
>> My initial thought is that any heading (down to some level) automatically
>> defines a section of editable text, but I'm curious to know if people have
>> other ideas.
>>
>> After gathering feedback, I'll see about implementing this in
>PmWiki 2.
>
>Not sure if I am too late for this, but IIRC I suggested this feature a
>while ago :).

I think my reply got eaten...

If there is going to be a character to designate sections, could we
consider making it '#' rather than '*' eg

!#Introduction

The page table of contents recipe uses '#' to tell pmwiki to
create and automatically number an anchor. Using '##' generates
an automatically numbered /visible/ anchor.

These then get picked up in the table of contents generator.

The markup could equally define sections for editing purposes,
avoiding another markup character.

Or it could use visible anchors as section designators, ie

    [[##ananchor]]
    !##visible anchor generated automatically

This gives a small visual cue to where sections begin and end.

But I agree that avoiding any extra markup is preferable.

Just a thought.

JR
--
John Rankin