[pmwiki-users] International characters in links

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Apr 4 15:45:07 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 02:07:46PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>
>> for some reason, umlauts get replaced by empty space on one of my
>> PmWiki installations, and I don't know why. Is there a checklist
>> that I can use to find out where exactly things go wrong?
>>
>> An example link is at http://www.maquaris.de/Main/WikiSandbox, the
>> wiki has ?action=diag enabled.
>
> Looks to me as though that system is defaulting to a strange or
> incorrect locale.  As a result, it's treating non-ASCII characters
> as being non-alphanumeric, so PmWiki's MakePageName() function thinks
> they are punctuation and removes them.
>
> Try adding
>
>    setlocale(LC_ALL, 'de_DE');

I'm already doing

   XLPage('de','PmWikiDe.XLPage');

which (hopefully) does the right setlocale call already.

Testing...
... no, setlocale doesn't help.

> to your local/config.php and see if that resolves the problem.

... hmm, Unix "locale -a" says there's just "C" and "POSIX". Seems like
there are no locales installed at all.

Installing... re-installing... grmbl, lots of arcane commands...
OK, works, at least if system default is de_DE. I'll want to switch back
to "C" as the system default, but now it's firmly in the sysadmin domain.

> I also notice (via ?action=phpinfo) that this site is running a fairly
> old version of PHP (4.1.2) and PCRE (3.4, 22-Aug-2000).  It's
> possible that PHP on this site isn't properly recognizing the
> POSIX character classes such as [:alnum:], [:alpha:], [:digit:], etc.

*sigh* I know. I'm running Debian, and I'd have liked to upgrade from
Woody (stable) to Sarge (testing) long ago if Sarge had a security team.
(I've been considering switching to Ubuntu, which is, among other
things, Debian Sarge with a security team, but this hasn't materialized
yet. Maybe this summer. Maybe the Debian folks get their act together
and manage to stabilise Sarge this summer. It's just a little less than
100 release-critical bugs left...)

Regards,
Jo