[pmwiki-users] Re:Changing charset from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Thu Apr 7 22:54:28 CDT 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 10:05, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 09:31:02AM +1000, Algis Kabaila wrote:
> >
> > I have a similar, problem with a much smaller volume of files - conversion
> > from Lithuanian iso-8859-13 to utf-8 on my HAN (Home Area Network).  I
plan
> > to write a small Python script for convertion of Lithuanian diacriticals
in
> > iso-8859-13 to map into utf-8.  The processing would be on a file with the
> > results written to another file with a slightly modified name.
>
> Just so you know, PHP often comes with the "iconv" library
> configured that can handle conversions among differing
> character sets.  See http://www.php.net/iconv
>
> For example, in PHP one can do
>
>     $converted_string = iconv("ISO-8859-13", "UTF-8", $str);
>
> which will take a string encoded in ISO-8859-13 and convert it to utf-8.
>
> PmWiki would use iconv for a lot of its processing, but not all PHP
> installations have iconv available.

Sounds like a good project for a php newbie - I might give a go at writing in
php a stand alone program to do the mapping.

No doubt there are libraries for the iso - utf-8 conversions in Python, too.
However, for my tuppence worth, I often prefer to reinvent the wheel, rather
than spend a lot of time searching.  It is different when someone points out
that the wheel already exists, as you have done with php - iconv().

This mailing list seems inundated by php programmers, eager to try their
skills on something "useful", such as overloading PmWiki with more features
than it is good for it.  This wiki has a great structure for extensions and
yet it is simple enough to quickly learn its basic  administration.   If you
can, try to keep it simple, Patrick!

Thank you for your email - as always, it has valuable information.

Al.

--
Algis Kabaila
http://www.pcug.org.au/~akabaila