[pmwiki-users] Feature request: Action lists in skins

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sat Apr 9 16:18:04 CDT 2005

Neil Herber wrote:

> Then I came across Gemini Two which allowed me to specify my own set of
> actions in whatever order I chose, and they were both highly desirable
> traits. I did not have to look at the sticky entrails of CSS, I just had
> to populate a list on a PmWiki page. The biggest advantage being that I
> could modify the menus with any browser from anywhere. I did not have to
> be able to FTP a new CSS file to some remote server. This is not an
> insignificant point to me.

Would it be more of a problem if that were done in config.php?

> Unfortunately, I *thought* I understood some of the things that Jo was
> proposing, and I appear to have "hijacked" ( or "sidetracked", I forget
> the exact term used) this thread for a while by proposing things like
> TopBar, BottomBar etc. But as I said later, all I want is an easy way to
> control the look of the pages and the placement of items in the
> menu/action lists without having to crack open .css or .tmpl files.

Having TopBar etc. is actually an excellent idea. It seems that the vast
majority of available skins uses that scheme, so it helps if a
reasonable naming scheme is in place (transferring CSS from one skin to
another would become easier, for example).

Making the bars wiki pages is an excellent idea, too. We could get rid
of that $PageLogoFmt variable, for example - the "bar pages" can take
care of including the proper logo in the proper place.

Given these advantages, I think it's acceptable if the proposal
sidetracked the discussion a little bit :-)

> Note that once I had a stable version of the page appearance and menu
> items, I more or less ignored these things. So having a method that lets
> me make changes infrequently, without having to relearn great chunks of
> PmWiki internals is a huge bonus.

Thanks for pointing out that design criterion.

Regards,
Jo