[pmwiki-users] Re: questions about user authentication

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Tue Apr 12 21:43:08 CDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

Just checking a thing here. On my company wiki, the access to uploaded
files must be restricted - security through obscurity is not an option.
The only way to restrict file access is via .htaccess/.htpasswd/.htgroup,
right?

> Q1: What sort of interface do you want/need for adding user identifiers
> and passwords into the system?

Since I'll always be using .htpasswd etc, an editor and/or command line is
fine by me for interface.

> Q2: What sorts of features are needed for users who have forgotten
> their passwords?

A feature that gives them a slap in the face?  ;-)

> Q4: Is anyone interested in being able to authenticate against
> standard ".htpasswd" files?

Yes - I'd definitely prefer only maintaining one set of user/passwords

> (If so, would you need an interface to create/maintain such files...?)

I don't think an interface is strictly needed, but it could certainly be
useful for people who aren't used to manually edit them.

> Q5: How soon would you likely start to use or implement user
> authorization on your site(s) once these features are available?

If I weren't too busy right now, I'd start using it straight away. This is
definitely something that the company wiki needs.

/Christian