Fwd: Re: [pmwiki-users] Is there a way to tell if anyone is editing a wiki page?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Apr 15 15:54:16 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Yes, I can imagine.  Hey, here's another thought -- how about if
> we only generate the "someone is editing the page" message if that
> person's edit came with value set for Author (i.e., the edit is
> non-anonymous).  This would help to distinguish between edits coming
> from humans versus robots.

When would you detect whether the edit is anonymous? If it's the first
post of that person, or the person has switched off cookies, PmWiki
won't know it's a non-anonymous edit until the user hits the Save
button. That's a bit late.
Now detecting it at the start of the edit session runs into time-out
issues. Somebody might start to edit the page, abort after a minute, but
the page retains the warning until the time-out expires - lots of
spurious warnings then.

Regards,
Jo