[pmwiki-users] Feature request: Action lists in skins

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sun Apr 17 02:52:02 CDT 2005

Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:

> On 4/8/05, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
>
>> That PukkaFloat skin is an interesting test case. PukkaFloat
>> classifies actions as "important" and "secondary" (my terminology),
>> by displaying the important ones promimently and the secondary ones
>> in a not-so-prominent position. I think that this is an excellent
>> design idea. However, again, this mixes skin-design and
>> administrative tasks. The administrator may disagree about the
>> relative importance of actions. With the current system, he'll have
>> to modify the skin. (I have been thinking about ways to make even
>> this advanced way of using the action list configurable, but I have
>> withheld the idea for fear of letting the discussion get
>> sidetracked even more.)
>
> That's one of mine.  The logic is not important vs. secondary, but
> actions that directly affect the page content or your view of it, vs.
> other stuff you can do that's related to the page, but doesn't change
> the page (such as seeing the group's recent changes, a list of pages
> that link to this one, or a printable view of the page).

Ah, good point. I hadn't recognised that pattern.

Hmm... how about giving skin designers a way to say "action list #1 goes
*here*, action list #2 goes *here*", and letting skin designers
recommend which kinds of actions should go to what action list? That
would allow wiki admins to easily experiment with different action
groupings, for example.

[Excellent ideas about other design issues snipped.]

Regards,
Jo