[pmwiki-users] Word wrap problem

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue Apr 19 14:23:05 CDT 2005

Radu wrote:
> As for the editing tools... I like the idea but I don't like the
> depth of the tricks one has to code in order for some feature to work
> on most platforms. If one really wants a good cross-platform editor,
> one could be built in Flash.

Which version? There are so many to choose from...

... besides, some people don't have Flash installed. (Including Yours
Truly here - deterred by some early reports about Flash "phoning home"
when it shouldn't.)

>>> There's no good column to break at. People with a wide screen
>>> will be unhappy if the admin sets it to anything less than 40,
>>> people with a narrow screen will be unhappy if the admin sets it
>>> to anything above 30.
>
> That's a good point, and all the admin has to do is to change the
> number clearly visible in the markup. Or if it really has to be left
> to authors, a directive could be added to set a variable for the
> markup.

None of this really solves the problem, which is:

*It is the end user towards who sets the line width.* Implicitly, via
the width of the browser window.

The *only* thing that I could think of would be a wrap-with-indent
solution. I.e. whip up some CSS that makes sure that the indent is
preserved when the line is forced to wrap.

Regards,
Jo