[pmwiki-users] questions about user authentication

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Thu Apr 21 12:36:37 CDT 2005

This is a belated reply, because I have been away for a while ...

At 2005-04-12  03:05 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:

>Q1: What sort of interface do you want/need for adding user identifiers
>and passwords into the system?

For my purposes, using the Apache .htpasswd file would be ideal, since I
already use it to control more global access.

>Q2: What sorts of features are needed for users who have forgotten
>their passwords?

None for me. I just resend the original email to them.

>Q3: Is there anyone who has an immediate need/use for authenticating
>via an LDAP or Active Directory Server?  (If so, is there an LDAP or
>AD server somewhere that I could test against?)

No LDAP for me.

>Q4: Is anyone interested in being able to authenticate against
>standard ".htpasswd" files?  (If so, would you need an interface to
>create/maintain such files...?)

Absolutely desirable - no interface needed, but would be nice to have.

>Q5: How soon would you likely start to use or implement user
>authorization on your site(s) once these features are available?

Already using Apache Basic Authentication and forcing author name to remote
user name. Would continue with this.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/