[pmwiki-users] pmwiki-2.0.beta33, new pagelist code

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Apr 22 23:31:38 CDT 2005

I've just released 2.0.beta33, now available at
http://www.pmwiki.org/pub/pmwiki and on sourceforge.net.  This
release contains a substantially redesigned pagelist module for
generating search results and page listings.  The new module:
  - is optimized for better performance for many types of page
    listings (although I still can't call it "fast" -- searching is
    just slow)
  - adds a "link=target" option to list pages that contain a link
    to target (i.e., backlinks)
  - adds "order=" and "count=" options that can be used to reorder
    the list of pages and limit the length of the output

However, the redesign also means that any existing customizations
or cookbook modules that depended upon the previous pagelist code
may no longer function properly.  (Then again, it might. :-)  So,
it's worth being aware of the potential for conflict when upgrading.
As usual, I'll be glad to help troubleshoot upgrade issues.

The good news is that I think this will be the last substantial
core change prior to the release of 2.0.  The remaining items on
my list before 2.0 are an improved edit form, a comments/discuss
feature, and improved documentation.

Lastly, this release also optimizes the rendering of page links and
fixes a performance bug in the FmtPageName() function.  These
changes have been observed to improve page rendering times by
up to 40%.

Comments, questions, suggestions welcome as always.