[pmwiki-users] Edit page extensions

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Apr 25 13:37:48 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 09:33:47AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
>>> The framework would be good for creating other kinds of pages
>>> beyond those for editing. Applications that I can see are: * In
>>> general, pages that are built from a wiki page.
>>
>> If this is the case, we probably ought to develop and standardize a
>>  markup for all forms and avoid specialized edit-page markups,
>> similar to WikiForms or the FormGuideSystem.
>
> Having just now re-reviewed WikiForms and FormGuideSystem, I'm not
> the syntax of either is really appropriate for this (and they're
> designed for a different purpose anyway). So I'll probably go with a
> edit-form-specific syntax. Right now I'm leaning towards "ef" (for
> "editform"), thus:
>
>    (:ef savebutton:)
>    (:ef previewbutton:)
>    (:ef author:)
>    (:ef changesummary:)
>
> etc.

Making one markup for all input elements looks good.

"ef" is a bit too short for my taste though - it's a (:...:) markup, and
these have always been verbose. Something like (:form...:) might be
good. Or (:in...:) for "input".
Maybe somebody has an even better word for that. My observation is that
these elements are all something where the visitor can interact with the
site: click a button, edit/enter a text, click a checkbox, or whatever.

Another thing: the name space should be separated. PmWiki uses
PmWiki.savebutton, PmWiki.previewbutton, PmWiki.author, etc., where
recipe RenamePage would use RenamePage.GroupName and RenamePage.NewPageName.

> I think I'm going to put together a set of demo pages on pmwiki.org,
> and then let people propose default edit forms from there (as well as
> see how well this approach will work).

Good idea.

Regards,
Jo