[pmwiki-users] Config group (Was: Edit page extensions)

Jonathan Scott Duff duff at pobox.com
Mon Apr 25 15:27:14 CDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:12:30PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 03:26:53PM -0400, Neil Herber wrote:
> > > The more I read about wiki configuration pages, the more I want to see them
> > > in their own group (say, PmConfig).
> >
> > This is... -by far-, the best proposal I've ever heard for this.
> > Great job, Neil.  Almost every other name I've seen has some sort
> > of potential for conflict.
>
> Some people might wonder what a "Pm" is, and how to configure "it" ;-)

So ... is the only objection to PmWikiConfig that it's too long?

> > Currently PmWiki comes distributed with the following pre-defined pages:
> >
> >     Main.HomePage     - default start page
> >     Main.SearchWiki   - search results page
> >     Main.PageNotFound - page of text displayed if page isn't located
> >     Main.WikiSandbox  - default sandbox
> >     Main.SideBar      - default sidebar
> >     PmWiki.*          - PmWiki documentation, but also contains
> >                         PmWiki.EditQuickReference and
> >                         PmWiki.UploadQuickReference
> >
> >     Main.GroupAttributes,
> >     PmWiki.GroupAttributes - pages to lock passwords on Main and PmWiki groups
> >

> > If we define a custom group for config pages, does that affect anything
> > in the Main or PmWiki groups?

I think it all works out fine.

Unless you want to make a PmWikiConfig.Config page that specifies which
pages should be used for those Main.* things and then have skin authors
(and others) use $Config['HomePage'], $Config['SearchWikiPage'],
$Config['SideBarPage'], etc. (or $ConfigHomePage, etc.) to access those
things :-)

> > Or does everything work out okay if we
> > leave all of the above pages where they are (perhaps except
> > PmWiki.EditQuickReference and PmWiki.UploadQuickReference) and just add
> > a PmConfig group?
>
> I do hope we'll at least eventually move all of them into the config
> group.

Er, why?

> > I don't want to have a PmConfigFr group, so I'd guess the forms either
> > have to be self-internationalizing (e.g., via $[phrase] markups in the
> > forms themselves) or corresponding per-language forms in the PmWikiFr,
> > PmWikiDe, PmWikiEs, etc. groups.  Personally I think I prefer the
> > $[phrase] markups...
>
> Another solution could possibly be to let different sections of a page be
> used for different languages. In fact, something like this would work:
>
> (:if language english:)
> bla bla bla
> (:if language swedish:)
> bla bla bla
> (:ifend:)

I'm all for the $[phrase] syntax myself.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at pobox.com