[pmwiki-users] Re: Config group (Was: Edit page extensions)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Mon Apr 25 16:45:08 CDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> But yes, perhaps "PmWikiConfig" is best overall -- very little chance
> for confusion or misinterpretation.  Either that or "SiteConfig".

Hans has a good point in another post about the site not necessarily being
the same as the wiki. Maybe it should be 'FieldConfig' or 'WikiConfig'
then... either way I guess we have to see how/if a wiki farm is affected
by this?

> > I do hope we'll at least eventually move all of them into the config
> > group.
>
> Hmm, I'm not so sure that's appropriate.  Somehow I don't think
> that performing a search should take me to a page in the
> PmWikiConfig group, nor should page-not-found errors result in
> the config group.  It just "looks wrong".

Hmm... I didn't quite think of it like that.. I was expecting the pages to
be used as source for a dynamically generated page. Perhaps more like a
template than a page that the user is directed to.

You're right in that it's very annoying to end up in a different group.
It's especially annoying when you get a completely different sidebar...
But keeping the page in e.g. PmWiki/ doesn't help.. what I've found is
that I sometimes want to end up in different search pages depending on
from what page I did the search. Or perhaps I should say that I'd like the
"search page" to be embedded in a group-local page.

Anyway, this is a different topic...

> Yes, how to make the edit form appear appropriate in whatever language
> is being used.  It's at least an important consideration.

I agree. About phrases, we should remember that for some language changes,
it might not just be enough to change a simple phrase. But perhaps that's
not a problem for pmwiki? I don't know if it works with with languages
that read stuff from right-to-left etc.

> Yes, this is the multilanguage markup.  But the edit form will look
> awfully messy if we have to put all of the language translations into a
> single edit form.

Ok. Anyway, I think [$Prhase] is a good solution for know. (It has the
drawback of making the templates more "difficult-looking" of course). The
(:if...:) stuff will work as a last resort anyway, right?

/C