[pmwiki-users] Language Mirrors of Wikis

Hans design at flutesong.net
Tue Apr 26 08:48:54 CDT 2005

Monday, April 25, 2005, 7:47:40 PM, Thorralf wrote:
> If I like to add an i.e. English mirror of
> http://www.thorralf.de. Do I have to upload a second wiki? I like to
> keep the Group-Structure, but within Page-Listings, Navigations
> etc... there should be only the text in the language chosen... Any
> ideas? I recognized that PmWikiDe is just ONE group to contain the
> German Version of the documentation...

Would it work to have one wiki installation and give the user the
option to choose a language for the interface?
This could probably be done with setting a cookie.
The pages will all be the same, but the language displayed on buttons
will be by choice.
One problem remains, which is how to internationalise an action list
stored on wiki pages.
Also page listings would all be the same, since you will just have one
wiki.d with one set of pages.

Or do you want to have all pages in different sets of languages?
Then it would be better to configure a wiki farm with fields in the
various languages. But pages would not mirror each other, unless you
are diligent and keep up with translations.

Another way, not going as far as farming, would be to mirror groups of
pages for different languages, and give each group the appropriate
i18n setting. Still you need to keep up with translations, but you
will have it all within one wiki, and can name pages according to the
language, and have language specific group sidebars.

Best,
~Hans