[pmwiki-users] pmwiki-2.0.beta33, new pagelist code

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Apr 27 01:03:12 CDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:17:13PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 10:02:40 PM, Patrick wrote:
> >> I fail to grasp where this may be useful :(
> >> Would it not be better to do a search via an action link like
> >> *[[Main.SearchWiki?q={$Name} | Cross Reference ]]
>
> > 1. "link=" is faster, possibly much faster [...]
>
> > 2. Searching for ?q={$Name} is likely to find pages where the text
> > contains the current page name but is not a link.  [...]
>
> Very good points! But I seem to be thick to grasp how you use the
> markup. Putting it on a page does not make any sense to me, unless it
> is for diagnostic use only. Having an action link or query in the
> address bar makes sense to me, but how can this markup be put into an
> action link? I do like a cross reference link on my foot menu, and the
> markup seem,s promising, but how do I use it for  a link?

Well, you can do:

   * [[Main.SearchWiki?q=link={$FullName} | Backlinks]]

Or, you can create a page called Main.Backlinks that contains just
the (:pagelist:) markup, and then use

   * [[Main.Backlinks?link={$FullName} | Backlinks]]

See, for example,
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/BackLinks?link=PmWiki.DocumentationIndex .

Nearly all of the arguments to (:pagelist:) can be specified in the
query string portion of a url as well as in the markup itself.

If we need an ?action=backlinks, we can probably generate one of
those as a special case of the (:pagelist:) markup.