[pmwiki-users] How to make changes permanent?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue Aug 2 16:21:02 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 07:02:47PM +0200, Robert Riebisch wrote:
>
>> When editing pages changes are saved in "diffs". Is it possible to
>> cumulate the many diffs into one big single diff and reset the
>> recent changes pages?
>
> Depends on what you mean by "cumulate the many diffs into one big
> single diff"?  If you do it for the entire page history then the one
> big diff is just the page itself.  You might try looking at
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ExpireDiff as a way of removing
> pages' history.

Hmm... that's a good answer, but it leads me to another question: is
there a way to merge diffs?

Say, I have a spammer on a page, and I want to elide his activity from
the changelog. Or for those changes that are older than, say, a year, I
may want to merge the diffs on a monthly basis so that I can roughly see
what was changed when but not every single change. Or I want to
eliminate all "small" changes from the log (and integrate them into the
previous or next "large" change).

Technically, this would mean merging a limited set of diffs. Or
retrieving two revisions, creating a new diff from scratch, and
replacing the diffs between the revisions with that diff.

Nothing urgent for me, and I've skimmed some details, but it would be a
useful tool to have in the chest.

Regards,
Jo