[pmwiki-users] yet another documentation suggestion ...

H. Fox haganfox at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 17:03:56 CDT 2005

On 8/2/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 08:51:22PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> > The traditional format is a single FAQ. Once it gets large, it gets
> > sectioned. If it gets unwieldy, it's split into files.
>
> I prefer this -- a single FAQ until it gets too large, then start
> splitting.

One page is plenty.

To make scanning the questions easier, we could place them at the top
with intra-page links to the answers below.  Another way to break it
up: Table of Contents / topic headings.

Example with both (sort of):
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq

That's what I think a well-made FAQ page looks/works like.  It answers
fifty questions and it's easy to use.

Importantly, it answers a few questions I hadn't thought of yet.

> > However, I don't think a PmWiki FAQ is really needed. Any topic that's
> > mentioned in the FAQ could just as well be made into a wiki topic.
>
> Agreed.

I don't think FAQs and wiki topics are mutually exclusive.  Examples:

    Q: Why doesn't PmWiki use a database such as MySQL for page storage?