[pmwiki-users] Re: audiences revisited or revised

V.Krishn mistyfire at autograf.pl
Wed Aug 3 13:56:08 CDT 2005

> On Wednesday 03 August 2005 14:22, nospam at eton.ca wrote:
> ...snip
> I have been updating some of the docs and have had second thoughts about
> how to refer to audiences in a consistent way that everybody agrees with.
> Does the following make sense?
>
> 1) A generic term for anyone accessing the wiki is a "user".
> 2) Users may also be "authors", that is, individuals who add to or edit the
> content of the wiki.
> 3) A generally limited number of users are "admins", individuals who can
> control the operation of the wiki in various ways.
>
> On the http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Audiences page, authors are
> further divided into two groups: naive and experienced. There is some
> cultural baggage that goes along with these names. They might be better
> described as conservative (not willing to do much markup) and daring
> (willing to use lots of markup) authors, but those terms are just as
> loaded. The same sort of classification could apply to admins
> (conservative/daring).
>
> Rather than ascribing abilities to the users,  why not ascribe a level to
> the material being documented? This is already done to some degree with
> page names like Simple Tables and Advanced Tables.
>
> The points being made on the Audiences page about "naive authors" are still
> very valid. What I am suggesting is a retraction of my original proposal
> for 4 audiences (2 author, 2 admin) and adoption (or retention!) of the
> terms user, author and admin as category tags for the docs. Each topic in
> the docs could (should?) indicate if it is a basic, intermediate or
> advanced topic.
This sounds good to me. On right-top of every page we can have:

User: User (can it be "Reader"?)
Level: Basic
OR
User: Author
Level: Advanced
OR
User: Author, Admin
Level: Intermediate

Placement and Style has to be decided upon so that the look is consistent
throughout.

Can we please decide upon some wikistyles so that we can start the
documentation process.
Suggestions:

%warning%
%configcode%
%csscode%
%othecode%
%apache% OR %server%
%suggestions%

They would basically be used to put a backgroud and a border, which would make
it easy to spot it out on the pages.

> This is a slight modification of the system used by Pierre Rouzeau for the
> French docs.
>
> One question that occurs to me: Do we really need a "user" audience? And I
> am sure that the answer is yes. Docs for users would include such topics
> as: * what can PmWiki do?
> * PmWiki philosophy
> * WikiWikiWeb
>

> Neil