[pmwiki-users] FAQ Page Layout

V.Krishn mistyfire at autograf.pl
Thu Aug 4 08:29:33 CDT 2005

> On 8/3/05, Benjamin Wilson <ameen at dausha.net> wrote:
> > I would certainly prefer keeping the current Q:/A: mechanism as it is a
> > fairly universal approach.
Even if they are not universal they fulfill the concept of "quick"(wiki). They
are short, easy to type and sybolical interpretation in not ambigous.
Having them is indeed a benefit.

> > What I've done to "comply" with the standard business practice of FAQs
> > is return the "Q:" and "A:" to the markup so they are displayed to the
> > user.
>
> Based on some investigation, I don't think showing the Q: and A: are
> standard practice for single-page FAQ pages.  Bold questions and
> indented-block answers are much closer to "standard".
I think sites overall style and look including what it represents, i.e whether
its a wiki, commercial, blog, non-profit organization also matters.
I have seen plenty of sites that use different colored bullets for questions
and answers.

> > So, I say leave the system in place. If you want different looks and
> > feels, then define them via %this%.
I would agree with that, except that name choosen should at first glance
should not create plenty of ambiguity in the minds of first time
readers/authors.
eg.
%ques% %ans% (we used to use this-without % in schools as kids)

> That depends on what you mean by "the system".  Certainly wikistyles
> should be usable in Q and A blocks.
>
> The current system + wikistyles is not adequate.
>
> Maybe I'm wrong, though.  Can you define the answers on this page via
> %this% so they're indented.
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/FAQTemp
>
> If so, is it reasonable to expect authors to use %this% on every
> answer rather than have the margin on the left appear automatically?
>
> I'd like it to at least be *possible* to conveniently have the main
> common style elements of the four FAQ pages I've linked, which are
> * distinctive styling for questions,
> * indented blocks for answers, and
> * some sort of TOC at the top that links to section headings and and
> individual questions with answers.
In most pages I designed, the TOC designing generally comes at the end, but
might not be true with some designers. Maybe if we start questions and
answers first and later see how and where TOC would fit best.
I am here presuming that the FAQ pages now have become a consesus.

> Hagan
Regards.
V.Krishn