[pmwiki-users] something odd on the FAQ page - edit template bug??

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Thu Aug 4 10:17:45 CDT 2005

At 2005-08-04  10:00 AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:00:41PM -0400, Neil Herber wrote:
> > Go to http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FAQ
> >
> > Click on the Edit Page link
> >
> > Note the backlink above the edit window - it points to PmWiki, not to
> > PmWiki.FAQ
>
>FAQ isn't a WikiWord, so it's treating just the "PmWiki" part as a
>WikiWord link.
>
>I'd say that we can either
>    a. Leave it alone
>    b. Force the backlink to always be a link in the EditForm
>    c. Force the title to never be a link in EditForm
>
>I'm open to any of the above.

I looked at several pages on several skins and came to the conclusion that:
(a) is not acceptable, because it gives authors an inconsistent editing
environment, (b) might be best because it won't break current skins, (c)
may break some skins.

That said, the backlink isn't really needed - the cancel button performs
the same function and is much clearer about the results of pressing it. So
I would vote for (c) as long as the skin has a cancel button on the edit
form (I haven't tried them all!).

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/