[pmwiki-users] Re: yet another documentation suggestion ...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Aug 4 13:34:18 CDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 12:06:24PM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
> Whether the metadata should be embedded in the page content or
> as an associated metadata record is an open question:
>
> + having a metadata form makes it easy for people to add metadata
> + the metadata doesn't get in the way when editing a page
> - people need to understand what 'metadata' means
> - updating the content of a page can make the metadata incorrect

I tend to come down on the side of embedding metadata in the page
content, as opposed to creating separate fields for it.  This is
especially true if any of the metadata needs to be versioned in the
page history.

Even with the metadata in the contents there can be forms to
update it, and when we implement section edits it may be easier
to allow edits where metadata isn't in the way.  :)

> The markup [[PageName?action=dc]] would show the metadata
> associated with a particular page.

Sounds like a terrific idea to me, I'll write up a module for it.