[pmwiki-users] improved markup for floating images...?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Aug 5 13:27:20 CDT 2005

Just clearing out my mailbox (I'm also reviewing and synthesizing
the many excellent ideas and comments regarding documentation) ...

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 05:41:06PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:

> Why not use the image filename (with the extension stripped) as a
> default when the author doesn't provide alt text?  The alt text is for
> screen readers and such, right?  Wouldn't the image name be better
> than an empty string there?

In general I think an empty string is better here -- sometimes the
image's filename provides descriptive information, but just as often
it doesn't.  It can also interrupt the flow for screen readers and
the like.

> Could this be a recipe or configuration option at least?

It could probably be made into a configuration option.

> I would have liked to see text float around images (that are on their
> own line) by default ...
>     Attach:image.jpg
>     Some text.
> would be equivalent to
>     %rfloat% Attach:image.jpg
>     Some text.

I thought about this a fair bit, and I think I'm going to leave
things as they currently stand.  Yes, it helps with compatibility,
but more to the point I think the markup

   Attach:image.jpg
   Some text.

in the absence of any other formatting information just *looks*
as though Attach:image.jpg should be left-justified (not right)
and that the text should appear beneath it.