[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Supporting different modes in default pmwiki

Hans design at flutesong.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Aug 7 14:24:39 CDT 2005

Well it sounds to me that what you are looking for can be achieved
with creating variations to  a skin, and changing between these using
action links like [[{$Name}?setskin=adminmode| Admin mode]]
or [[{$Name}?skin=adminmode| Admin mode]] (just for this page, not
setting a cookie),
or using markup conditions like
(:if auth admin:)(:skin adminmode:)(:if:) or
(:if skin admin:)..special admin links..(:if:)

Using skinchange.php and ?setskin should achieve most of it, with the
addition of (:if skin ..:) conditional markup and (:skin ...:) markup.

So do we need a 'mode' global variable(array) and conditional markup?
As I am trying to show, it is not really necessary. All can be
achieved with the existing tools.

In my skin development efforts I was trying to separate functionality
like action lists from the look of the skin, so each can be determined
independently. Having done so conditional markup is the perfect way to
combine the two again.

A 'mode' variable would need to define  a mix of looks and
functionality, and would need to be very customisable, making it a
rather complex beast I would think. So far it does not make sense to
me.

Best,
~Hans