[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Supporting different modes in default pmwiki

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 16:43:20 CDT 2005

On 8/7/05, chr at home.se <chr at home.se> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
> > On 8/7/05, chr at home.se <chr at home.se> wrote:
> > > Please do :-)  To be honest, I expect that very minor modifications of
> > > pmwiki would be needed. Mainly support for remembering the preferred mode
> > > of a user. Something else that's important, but doesn't really require
> > > change, is that come up with standard mechanism for modes -- just to make
> > > it easier for skins to be "compatible". Switching modes might just be the
> > > same as switching a skin, or the skin might consist of several sub-skins.
> >
> > I'm currently working on something quite similar, which would make
> > saved configurations of the Pukka skin (which is really a chameleon)
> > available through $Skin and skinchange.  I expect that some of the
> > code for skin modes and saved configurations will be the same!
>
> Ok. Mabye it could be generalized then... or maybe mode would simply be a
> special case of a configuration.

Yeah, I'm not sure yet.  For Pukka, at least, modes and saved configs
would need to take eachother into account, so there has to be a way of
distinguishing them.  A saved config is basically a list of
stylesheets that you want to use, and it controls things like fonts,
colours, and overall layout.  Modes modify the visibility, locations,
and prominence of skin furniture, so they operate on different aspects
of the UI.

> Here's a perhaps wild idea for the author mode... what if you got an edit
> form at the bottom of each page you view?

That could be cool for minor corrections, but I would still demand
easy access to the real edit form.  A lot of my pages are long, so
it's more suitable.  Plus, it's easier to remove distractions that
way.

Bronwyn